Thursday, May 15, 2008

The day has come!

The skies have opened and the angels are singing (or maybe I'm the one singing), Brett finally graduated from the U!!! He received his BFA in Printmaking. He will be staying at his current job because they have given him a promotion so his new title will soon be Computer Tech. He'll be making more money and learning more about web design, which will be good for his future career in the graphic design field.

The day of his graduation we woke up and realized the power was out and it was lucky we had woken up on time. Brett had checked the time for the University commencement so he knew he had to be there by 8:20 am for the procession. Our neighbor graduated too and needed a ride, so we got her and got on the road at 8:20. So yes, of course we were late. But thankfully the graduates made it just in time and we didn't miss any of it. As I sat there next to an older lady that was watching her granddaughter graduate, I was holding back the tears. The speaker asked those that had helped the graduates to stand. First the mothers, then fathers, then spouses. As I stood the older lady looked at me, smiling and said "Congratulations!" We had done it! I couldn't believe the day was finally here. We had worked hard to make the money to pay for the past 3 years of his schooling (not to mention the first 4 years he alone had worked hard for the money to pay for it) and had to make many compromises with our relationship, so he would have the time to go to school and do his homework. We really haven't spent much time together since we got married. So the thought of having him home at 5:30 pm instead of the usual 9 or 10 pm was so foreign, and extremely exciting! I'm so proud of him, I know how difficult it would have been for me to have been married while in school, so all I can say is thank you Brett for doing it! You're my hero and I couldn't be more proud of you! I love you so much, GRADUATE!!

Here are some photos of the blessed occasion. That's him walking away after he got his diploma, I missed them calling his name, the stupid camera went to sleep and I couldn't get it working fast enough!








That night we had a party at his cousin's house, we got an awesome and delicious cake, and all of his cousins, his parents and Granty and Anna came to celebrate (except Grant wasn't very nice, maybe you should work on that Anna! HA!). We had a great time! Thanks Alley for giving us your house for the night!


We had another party the next day at my brother's house, my parents, siblings, nieces and nephews, grandpa and aunt came to congratulate him. We had a great time! Thanks mom and dad for providing most of the food and Wil and Bec for your house. We love you guys!

Sidebar: Some know that when you ask me what the best day of my life has been so far, I say the day I graduated from college. It even trumps my wedding day! (I worked really hard to get through it and if you had any clue how hard the program was I was in, you would totally get this) But now, this day, the day Brett graduated from college, is in a close race for that title. Check back with me when we have kids, maybe that will trump them all, but I secretly doubt that! HAHA.

6 comments:

Anna said...

I admit Grant was not willing to play with any women. He was traumatized from being left by me when I went to work. He was quite taken with Brett though and kept wanting to talk to Brett while you were in Moab. He even started crying because I couldn't get Brett on the phone.

And...congratulations again Brett.

jennaloha said...

Congrats you guys, I wish I could have been there. Yes, I remember those days of being married to a full-time student. I had to do it with babies around. Your way is better.

FLYING SQUIRREL said...

while you were in school did you learn how to photoshop that beard off

Alley said...

Congrats Brett! You can party at my place ANY time.

Megan Zurcher said...

Graduations are fun if you only have to go to one. I went to Danny's last week, will go to Emily's this Saturday and then to Kate's the next week. I can only take so much!

Ann said...

Yay for Brett!