Thursday, May 15, 2008

Emulation of Jan-Michael Vincent

Now that I've graduated, I've had to come up with replacement things to occupy my newly spare time. Some of that time is spent being productive, and the rest of the time I just waste. One of the productive things I've been doing brings me back to my past - 1984 to be specific. That was the year that:

"A renegade pilot and his partner "steal" an advanced battle helicopter that they feel would be used unethically by its owners, a secretive U.S. intelligence agency. They agree to continue flying it on missions for the agency in exchange for the agency's help locating the pilot's missing brother."

The name of that pilot was Stringfellow Hawk. Teamed up with his long-time friend and partner Dominic Santini, the two of them piloted Airwolf!!!! Airwolf is a high tech helicopter created by a government agency called "THE FIRM". The scientist who created it, is also a bit deranged, he steals it and takes it to Libya. Deputy Director Michael Colesmith Briggs, codenamed Archangel, who oversaw the Airwolf project has to try and get it back. Stringfellow Hawke, the only other man other than the creator who knows how to fly Airwolf. With this advanced technology, Stringfellow and Dominic fly all around the world fighting injustices, usually instigated by South American gorillas, communist Russia, or communist Cuba.

I never realized how much this show impressed me as a 4 year old, and I didn't realize it until I started watching the show again. Looking back now, I subconsciously tried to look like Jan-Michael Vincent, and part of it is evident in my school pictures with my feathered hair. In addition to the hair, for some reason, I thought I would look more cool if I slightly inflated my cheeks with air and squinted. If you remember much about the show, you will know exactly what I'm talking about. If you don't remember anything about the show, maybe you will at least remember the theme song:

5 comments:

Anna said...

I totally remember Airwolf but sadly, I saw a recent interview with Jan-Michael Vincent on the Today show and I'm pretty sure there isn't anything about him now that you would want to emulate.

BLADERUNNER said...

I loved Airwolf! I remember that's all I would draw in the 4th grade.

jennaloha said...

Here's another influence you may not have realized: remember when we would play "hit the deck" at night on the tramp when we'd see headlights coming down the road, and we would give each other code names like Night Owl, Eagle Arrow, or STRINGFEATHER HAWK.

Wolfman said...

Your writeup is so good it could be a promo!

I've seen characters make comments about the show in other shows like Psych and NCIS, so I guess it has sticking power. Not so with other shows from the era.

There's also a website with everything about the show, including video and music, so it might be worth a visit.
http://series.airwolf.tv/episodes

Anonymous said...

Dude! I know AIRWOLF has inspired me!