Thursday, February 11, 2010

Fa Fa Fa Frankfurt

I was sent to Frankfurt, Germany to demo the Slice for MM. I was sent all alone which at first scared the crap out of me, but ended up not being so bad. It was a great opportunity but TONS of work! Four days straight of standing all day long and trying to communicate with people that don't really understand what you're saying. Germans never take a break, so they pretty much expected me to never take a break. It was rough, but I made it through. We stayed about 30 minutes away from Frankfurt, I think we were in Rodermark... I think, I don't really know. The problem with staying that far away is that Germany had gotten the most snow they had gotten in 30 years. (In reality it was only about 2 inches of snow, but that was a lot for them) Soooo, the cities had run out of salt and didn't really have the equipment to take care of the roads. So what should have been a 30 minute drive to and from the show, ended up being close to 2 hours. It was awesome. And another thing Germans don't do, turn on the heat in their cars! So it was a freezing 2 hour drive, with people that didn't really know how to speak English. Slightly uncomfortable, but a great experience, none the less. Here's a few pics of the show.



This area where the man is standing, was where both Ruth and I stood.
The smallest workspace EVER.


Hyka, me, Wendy, Ruth

These were the girls I worked with. Hyka was pretty much the funniest person I've ever met. She was trying to teach me bad words in German and then would tell me to NOT remember them. She was so fun! Wendy is from Tattered Angels. She was the only other American that really talked to me. She and her husband were beyond kind and generous to Brett and I. Brett met me there on day 3 of the show, on day 4 we had a train ride to Prague that didn't leave until 1 am. Wendy and her husband were worried about what we would do until our train left, so they got a hotel room in the city, instead of staying where we had been, and let us hang out with them until it was time for us to leave. Then they drove us to the train station!! She even offered me a job if I ever want to move to Ft. Collins, Colorado. I love Ft. Collins, so you never know... The last woman is Ruth, she was my German translator. If someone came up that didn't understand me she would step in. She was so sweet and a joy to work with. She said that she never keeps her eyes open in pictures if she looked straight at the camera, so she looked off to the side. Funny.


This is the hotel I stayed at.

The company I was working with said they like to stay here because it gives them a traditional German experience. Funniest part about that is that they are mostly all Germans.


And here is my traditional German closet. I mean room.
It was so funny how small it was. And I didn't realize that they were booking me a single bed, so when Brett showed up we had to have a cot brought in. There was maybe 6 inches between the 2 beds.


The sun came out the last day we were there. The only day there was sun.


After the last day we went out with Wendy and Kyle and found this cute little area.


Dinner


We also found this cool bridge that had a beautiful view over the river.

And that was all of Frankfurt that I saw. Sad that I didn't get to see more, but we saw a ton in Prague. That post is still to come.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Fun! The city you stayed in looks really cute, and really "German".

Alley said...

Welcome back! We missed you? Hope Gwen did okay without you. Er I mean I hope you did okay without Gwen.