Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sweet Child of Mine

(Sing that title and do the appropriate dance, as Axle would, please)



So here we are, home with TWO kids! What a trip this week has been. It all started 9 months ago... ok that's lame. I'll fast forward to December 15th. We had to be at the hospital by 6 am, so of course there was a big snow storm the night before. We had planned on leaving early to give ourselves lots of time, but that didn't exactly happen. My parents picked Gwen up the night before, (since they are selfish and didn't want to come to our house at 4.30 am) So we didn't have to worry about her. We showed up to the hospital and they were ready for us. We went right in to our room and got the party started.


On our way out the door

Planned c-sections are a lot different than going through 15 hours of labor and then having one. They strapped me into the monitors, gave me an IV and then had me walk into the OR. I was terrified, but it wasn't as bad as it was last time. This time it was a spinal block instead of an epidural, which was better since I hated the epidural, but hurt A LOT more to get. Then they put the curtain up and started cutting. I, of course, started to shake uncontrollably. I shook for maybe 4 hours. The surgery itself was about an hour and a half long. The doctor let Brett take some photos of her pulling Boston out of my stomach, which was pretty cool, in that gross way. He came out with all of his fingers and toes.

Told you it was cool in that gross way, but totally amazing too!

I look awesome!



Of course this story wouldn't be complete without one traumatic event. After I got back into the delivery room my heart rate dropped to 39, which is LOW. When the nurse saw that she said, "that can't be right!" so she checked the old fashioned way, by counting it, and said, "wow, yep, it's THAT low." The doctors ordered a 12 point EKG to check everything out. By the time the tech came to do that, it had returned to normal and they let me go upstairs to the postpartum floor. The anesthesiologist came to see me later and felt strongly that it was a result of the spinal block. My doctor isn't so sure and is going to make me have a big stupid test after I recover. Blah.

The stay at the hospital kind of sucked this time. The nurses weren't very attentive or helpful so we left as soon as we could. It has been nice to be home in my own space with my bed and being able to take the pain pills when I need them and not feel like I'm being treated like a drug addict when I asked for them. The pain is more manageable this time, although it's still very painful. I have found myself getting bitter that I'm not able to have babies the regular way. Although I guess both ways have pros and cons.

Totally awesome view of the parking structure from our room

All ready to go!

We are so grateful for our little Boston and that we are all healthy, well at least me and Bos are. Brett and Gwen have nasty colds. We've had lots of support from our friends and family and couldn't be more thankful for it. I don't know how people do this without that support, especially given the fact that I can't get out of bed without Brett's help.


Gwen absolutely loves Boston. The first time she met him she wanted to hold him forever and give him hugs and kisses. She has been very sweet with him although she has started throwing some serious temper tantrums, which is to be expected. I feel so bad that I can't lift her up and hold her. But Brett has been giving her extra attention to make up for my lack of being a mom to her.



And of course her visit to the hospital would not have been complete without this.


She's a little bigger than she used to be!

5 comments:

Kristina said...

Adorable! Love the pic of Gwen in the bassinet. Sad to hear you are in so much pain. That is NO FUN! Hope you recover quick.

jennaloha said...

Blake and I also enjoy throwing traumatic events into labor and delivery- thankfully nothing unrecoverable for either of us. Glad you and Boston are home now and hope everything just gets better and better.

Lisa, Adam and Macey said...

Congrats! He is so scrumptous! And I love the name. Good work guys!

KHodges said...

best. surprise. ending. ever.

Anna said...

The pictures are great. I do love that one where he's being pulled out of your tummy. Cool, cool. Glad he's here and healthy and glad you are okay too. Heal fast!